Saturday, April 19, 2008

3, 2, 1 Lift-off!


Today the boys and I went to the store and I purchased an Estes model rocket kit. The kit came with a launch pad, a pre-made rocket and everything you would need for 2 launches. I have always wanted to do this, but you know how life gets in the way of the best laid plans. Well, I decided that today was the day! I got a kit with a pre-made rocket just to see if it is something we would want to actually do again. If the boys liked it, then next time I will get some rockets that we can make ourselves.

Well, I read the instructions, put everything together and we found a big field to launch. It was a bit windy and I was afraid it was going to sail away! As launch director, I decided that the winds were acceptable and with a whoosh! our rocket actually lifted off the pad! And by lifted off the pad I mean it shot up in the sky like a bat out of hell! It actually worked! I was a little worried, to be honest, that it would just fizzle and Dad would look sort of silly after hyping this rocket launch up for an hour. Not only did the rocket fly straight up, but it came down within 30 feet of the launch pad!

I prepared the rocket for the second flight and it was just as good as the first!

I don't have any pictures because I was the launch director, pad safety director and crowd control all at the same time...

I would say that today was a great day for the Bilbrey Launch Team!

No comments: