Thursday, July 3, 2008

Barcelona Day 3 - 5000 miles from home.

Please click on the pictures to see the larger version.

I have never been so far from my home in my life, but with the internet, I still feel like I have my family and friends with me.

This morning I only had two places I wanted to go to. The first was Sagrada Familia and the second was the Estacio de Sants. When I got off the metro and turned around, this was what greeted me...



The Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia, or just Sagrada Familia as it's better known. It was designed by Antoni Gaudi and construction was begun in 1882. As you can tell, it is still under construction and it is estimated to be complete by 2026. When people questioned Gaudi about why it was taking so long, even back in the 1920's, he would reply, "My Client is not in a hurry".

At first glance, it looks like a weird, trippy version of a church on drugs, but when you look closer you realize that it is a very intricate piece of art.



Construction continues using Gaudi's blueprints to continue his vision. He envisioned this church to be "the last great sanctuary of Christiandom"

This photo depicts the Passion facade on the west side and the figures were sculpted between 1978 and 2002. Look at the big picture to see the details...



These interior columns were made to resemble redwood trees, with nature a big theme in this church.



Also, the columns of the interior were made of different types of stone, depending on the amount of weight it was to hold. That's why they are different colors...




At the end of the tour, I had much more appreciation for Gaudi and his skill as an archetect and artist. With this church, he thought out every detail and everything, and I mean everything, has some sort of religious meaning.

As a side note, Gaudi is where the term Gaudy comes from, because his work is really "out there" sometimes, using wild colors.

After the tour of the church, It was time to head to the Estacio de Sants...also known as the Barcelona train station!



After 3 wonderfull days in Barcelona, it was time to take the high speed train back to Madrid for a few more days. It was so nice to be zooming along at 300 Km/h, sipping a glass or two of champagne and enjoying the views...



Riding on the train is so comfortable, with wide isles, lots of footroom and plenty of personal space.



The ride was uneventful and I look forward to a great day tomorrow!



Bye!

No comments: