Friday, July 4, 2008

My day in Toledo, Spain

Click on the small photo to see the larger verion.



Today, I decided to take the train to Toledo, Spain, which is only a 30 minute ride from Madrid and cost 15 Euros round trip.

This is the train station in Toledo...



I took the local bus to the main square, called Plaza de Zocodover (below). The name comes from the Arabic name, "Souq al dawad" when the square was a Moorish livestock market at an earlier time. Bullfights and other festivals have taken place in this square as well as burnings at the stake by the Inquisition.



Toledo, Spain is known for it's production of iron and especially swords. Swords are for sale EVERYWHERE! But even if I wanted one, how would I get that thing home?

The thing that struck me was the narrow streets and Arabic influence.







Next, I came across the Cathedral of Saint Mary of Toledo, or just the Toledo Cathedral.



The Cathedral is one of the three 13th century High Gothic cathedrals in Spain and is considered to be the magnum opus.

Here are some pics from inside...







The rest of the day was spent literally wandering wherever the Spirit moved me...turn here, go this way. Here are a few pictures of the rest of the adventure...











Tomorrow we are going to tour the Real Madrid stadium and then we are going to Rock in Rio - Madrid concert to see the Police in concert. Should be a great last day in Spain!

No comments: