Thursday, January 15, 2009

Back to Utah...

CLICK ON THE SMALL PICS TO SEE THE BIG ONES...

Greeting from ATK Launch Systems in Northern Utah...my co-worker, Anthony and I have come here to shoot video of various components of the new Ares I rocket.



Here at ATK they make the solid rockets for the Space Shuttle and also will be making the solid first stage of the Ares I. The Ares I first stage is the skinny white part below the orange part (aka - upper stage)



The first stage is made up of 5 segments, each filled with solid propellant. We have been following the forward segment, or the "top segment" of the 5...it is where the igniter is and the propellant is in a 13 point star shape to increase the burn surface area...

These next few pics show us shooting video of what is called sling lining. The inside of the forward segment is lined with a special liner that helps the solid propellant (which will be poured on Monday, 1/19/09) adhere to the casing.









Later in the day, we decided to head outside and take a few pics of the ATK sign and surrounding area...









Yesterday we spent the day in the "pits"...the only place I know that is colder inside than it is outside! The pits is where they lower the Ares segments into pits that are deeper than the segment. It is there that they do all of the important stuff to them.

Last night, they were lowering the forward core segment into the forward segment. The shape of the core is the opposite shape of the live propellant that will be poured around it.



It was about 25 degrees in the pits last night and we were all bundled up! I was wearing so many layers that I felt like the Michelin man...only my fingers were cold. It's hard to run a camera with gloves on...



Here is the core about to go into the forward segment. Keep in mind that the white ring is only the very top of a 40 ft segment down in the pit...



After a short 5 hours they were done! On Monday, I will be shooting video as they pour live propellant into this segment...I am a but nervous, but these guys have been doing it for over 30 years with the Shuttle!



Last summer I went to Spain and took over 1000 pictures. Because I put most of my photos in my Flickr account, it is always interesting to see where they end up.

Click here to see one of my pics used in a very cool blog for my favorite magazine!

No comments: