Wednesday, February 11, 2009

O'ahu, Day Three

Today, I hit the big three of top things to do while on O'ahu...I toured the USS Arizona, climbed to the top of the Diamond Head crater and I went to a real Hawaiian lu'au...

First stop was the USS Arizona Memorial...I have always wanted to go there, because it is such an important part of American history. Being right there, looking at Battleship row and imagining the attack on that Sunday morning actually choked me up.

The memorial is directly over the USS Arizona and we took a short boat ride to pay our respects...



I am not listening to music...I rented the audio tour and through those headphones I was able to have Ernest Borgnine tell me all about Pearl Harbor and what happened there...



This is the base of gun turret #3...can you see the oil in the water?



They said that the ships remains leak about 2 quarts of oil a day and that survivors say that it is the USS Arizona's tears, shed for the devastating loss she suffered...





After lunch I "climbed" the Diamond Head crater...really I walked up a 1 mile path, up hundreds of steps and rose up almost 1000 feet...the views from up there were awesome.

Here you see me with all of Waikiki Beach in the background.







In the evening I went to a real lu'au, at a place called Germaine's. Everyone said that I need to go a lu'au and I was not disappointed! Here are a few pics...













That's it for day three...tomorrow is my last full day on the island and I plan on swimming in the ocean and relaxing on the sands. I feel like if I left now, I would be happy with all of the things I have been able to cram into three days!

Aloha!

No comments: