Sunday, May 25, 2008

Put up or shut up...



This world we live in is an awesome creation. I look at nature calendars and wonder where those beautiful photos have been taken. I know there is more to life than Huntsville, Alabama...

My dream had always been to travel the world with my wife...experience the many wonders and sights the Earth has to offer.

Last summer we decided that we were going to fulfill our dream to go to Hawaii in May 2008. I cashed in my Delta Skymiles and began to plan our trip. I have planned dozens of trips that I had absolutely no chance of actually going on...it's just fun to dream, but this trip was for real!

Well, events this year have sunk the Hawaii dream...for now. My wife and I are separated and rocketing towards a divorce...

I reached out to family and friends for support and found that I was not alone. I got back in touch with two college friends of mine who live in what I would consider exotic locations...Spain and Australia.

Both of them invited me to come for a visit and I decided to go to Spain this summer!

This is my chance to put up or shut up when it comes to world travel...



I am flying to Madrid on June 28th and will spend 1 week experiencing my very first European country.

In addition to exploring Madrid, I will taking a high speed train to Barcelona for a few days. The train has a top speed of 300 KPH (about 190 MPH) and will complete the 400 mile trip in 2 hours 45 minutes (with 3 stops!)

Here is a promotional video of the exact train trip I will be taking...




My time in Spain will be spent visiting museums, seeking out places of historical significance and experiencing the local culture.

I do know that I will be attending a bullfight, laying on a beach on the Mediterranean sea (which apparently is topless?) and seeing the Police in concert.

Hopefully, this is the first trip of many to experience this wonderful Earth!

No comments: