Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Worn out...

It's Tuesday night and I have worked 25 hours over the last 2 days...with at least as much over the next 2 days.

The process of filling a solid rocket segment with propellant is a time consuming and labor intensive endeavor. The "clock" starts ticking when the first 3,000 pound bowl of propellant is poured. After about 46 more bowls (about 36 hours later...) are poured the segment is full. Keep in mind, this is 1 of 5 segments...

I do want to mention that this particular propellant is inert...meaning it is not live propellant.

My producer and I have to try and keep up with a first shift, a second shift and a graveyard shift. When one step is completed, they move immediately to the next step and we better be there!

We had to split our day in two both yesterday and today because we needed to shoot something early in the morning and late in the evening.

I am definitely not complaining...seeing this process is fascinating and it gives me a whole new appreciation for the solid rocket motor.

Tomorrow I will shoot video of them "popping" the core from an aft segment...sounds interesting!

No comments: